You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.
Psalm 23: 5-6 NKJV

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Two weeks in the woods

Tom had neglected his mowing duties when we arrived and did not tell me until 3 days before we came!!! :o(

The oldest (now adult) children (now 41, 41, 38, 36) told me that going up north was a labor camp. They did not like all the up keep/work. They thought it would be all fun.

                               Above is my newest teenager making his mamma happy! Mowing!
                         The 4 teens at home now are very hard workers and they never complain.

When I was three my dad purchased a Lot on a Lake ten miles from here. First he built a very small bunk house. Then we worked the land and he built a cabin. All 15 years I was up there as a child I worked hard. I was the oldest. I helped with everything- putting the dock in, hauling things, clean up, building. Every weekend we went up, Dad's and my feet hit the ground running. We even went up in the Winter. As hard as it was, it was good hard.

So when Tom and I bought a lake lot 27 years ago, I knew what it involved. Tom not so much and the oldest teens had no idea. I loved it! I loved all the work. Tom doesn't build so I became our contractor. :o) I did as much as I knew how. We never had a cabin, only a bunk house. But it was more than enough.

                                                                  What a guy! :o)
                                                 Now Lysa wants to help Zay and Tom mow too!
All these years later, we are no longer on the lake, but in the woods.
This June Isaiah arrived here 13 years old. He was super excited about finally having teen age chores! Like mowing.
He's very responsible with tools. He asks multiple questions before starting a job if its new to him. He thinks of things to help that I'd never ask Tom because Tom would say no. Right now he is using the shop vac to vacuum the garage. I didn't even ask him because I was so busy myself I hadn't thought of it yet. :o)
So Zay and I now hit the ground running when we arrive here. I see so much of myself in him.
 
                                                                   (above) Much better!
Of course the teen girls are huge helps too. Just not as excited about it, and need more breaks! ;o)

                    I used to help mow with a push mower. This was too long for my push mower.

                           We had a lot of rain while here. But not the monsoons like we had last Fall. :o)
     We still get a lot done in the rain and between rain showers. We save inside work for rainy days.

                                                       Isaiah caught a double rainbow!

 
Isaiah mowing again.  Its about 3 acres that we mow. 
I was in the trailer at the table sewing when I took this.

                                      Faith checking everything out after the mowing.
                           Isaiah also used the new small battery powered chain saw to trim branches.

                                                                Rain clouds coming.

                                                    The sky is extra beautiful up here.







A Red squirrel. We have seen 2 this year. They are staying well away from us after we killed the ones living in the 5th wheel.

                               Isaiah loves photographing interesting things in the landscape.

                            A caterpillar that they found. Only problem was it bites!!

                                         We couldn't find what kind it was. Does anyone know?

                                                   Kitty eating the natural produce. (clover)

                                          Rays of sunlight coming through rain clouds.
I love how thick the forest is up here. You can clear land, here but leave it jut one summer and it begins growing back quickly. Its amazing how it thrives!
To the left the bare trees are the neighbors on his newly "flooded" for ducks land.

                                                                             Sunrays

I told Isaiah to take a few pictures of the Phoebe nesting under the trailer. He couldn't find them so he took a picture of the Robin nesting in the pines!

We had a HUGE Tom Turkey in the yard one afternoon. I sent Faith to sneak behind and follow it. she said he was with a female Turkey. Maybe they were going to nest? We hear them every morning. In the evening we see the white Swans and Loons flying over. They go from Lake to pond to river. So much wild life here. I told Zay to write down what we'd seen. He forgot. ;o)

One afternoon I saw a turtle running through the yard. Isaiah studied her for the day. Then let her go where we found her. When we let her go she sat under the trailers a few days and left. We'll watch for maybe? babies!

This is our "living" room in the Lodge.
SP says that she is not going home! ;o) We'll be back before she knows it! Since this picture I shaved the boys heads. I usually do that in May, we were late this year. I trim their hair as long as possible because they won't sit for hair cuts. Only Moses fights having his hair touched by anyone. The other 4 don't mind the hair shaving, and tolerate the trims. This year Julius actually sat so nice I may be able to give him a hair cut instead of shaving his head.

Tonight we put things away. In the morning after breakfast we go home.

Thank You for stopping by to share our JOY! (((HUG))) :o)

2 comments:

  1. What hard working and appreciative young people you have there! That is a huge blessing from the Lord. To love the simple goodness of the camp and the hard work it takes to have the privilege of being there. Amazing. I am so grateful for my crew of middles and older ones as well. They help me so much around our farm and with the littles. God is an awesome God and know exactly what we need when we need it. Praise His Name! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! Thank You! They are a wonderful "crew"! They have wonderful hearts for it! And yes! It is absolutely a privilege! A privilege from God!! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please be kind :o)